Thursday, May 24, 2012

Housewifehowtos.com




My friend the VK has just launched her new blog, Housewife How-to's and it's awesome already (and it's only the first day!). She's one of those over-edumacated wimmen who actually likes being home with the kids and the dog and the grocery shopping and the Dyson. I so get that, because I'm like that too. If someone offered me seventy grand and bennies to stay home and putter about the house all the livelong day I'd SO jump at it. Make me an offer.

I know a lot of women (and men) who say they'd go crazy staying home and that boredom would soon set in...but not me. I am never bored for more than about ten seconds or so. I always have several irons in as many fires that I can pull out as needed to occupy myself happily and productively. I get great personal satisfaction--a deep intrinsic satisfaction--from making a home. Work just gets in the way.

My mom, God rest her, was not domestic. She had many sterling traits, but domesticity was not one of them (although she was artistic and could sew, knit, and crochet to beat the band). She cooked because she had to feed us, not because she took any particular joy from the preparation of food. My maternal grandmother was the same, although my paternal grandmother was the opposite--and what a shock marriage was to my dad after growing up with his mom. I felt a keen loss growing up with a mom who didn't do girl things with me, and decided early that I was not going to be that way. I wanted to grow up, get married, make babies, and happily take care of all of it in domestic bliss. And I did stay home for most of my children's growing up years, which meant that I raised my own kids, too.

So, yeah. I get Kate.

Anyway, visit her blog, visit it again, and link to it everywhere.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Jenn! You're my new blog's first link. Was it good for you? I think I got the vapours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good. I'd offer a cig, but I don't smoke. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I am more housewife inclined than work inclined myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL that I got my own tag out of that! ;)

    ReplyDelete